SubjectRe: Out of memory kernel death
On  7 May, Theodore Y. Ts'o muttered something vague about:
> From: Rik van Riel <Rik.vanRiel@phil.ruu.nl>
> elegant solution for this. If FreeBSD is out of memory, it
> looks through the processes and kills off the largest one.
> This should be doable in Linux too...
>
> The problem is that the largest process is often the X server. Often
> this will indeed free a lot of memory, but it's not necessarily the best
> thing to do...

If I remember right, AIX does exactly that (kill X). It's really not
as good of a solution as it seems, as killing X often prevents you from
correcting whatever's hogging the memory.

later,
chris

Now, killing netscape might be a good idea ;-)

--
Chris Ricker gt1355b@prism.gatech.edu

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans