    SubjectRe: Out of memory kernel death
    On  7 May, Theodore Y. Ts'o muttered something vague about:
    > From: Rik van Riel <Rik.vanRiel@phil.ruu.nl>
    > elegant solution for this. If FreeBSD is out of memory, it
    > looks through the processes and kills off the largest one.
    > This should be doable in Linux too...
    >
    > The problem is that the largest process is often the X server. Often
    > this will indeed free a lot of memory, but it's not necessarily the best
    > thing to do...

    If I remember right, AIX does exactly that (kill X). It's really not
    as good of a solution as it seems, as killing X often prevents you from
    correcting whatever's hogging the memory.

    later,
    chris

    Now, killing netscape might be a good idea ;-)

    --
    Chris Ricker gt1355b@prism.gatech.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.043 / U:0.064 seconds]