SubjectRe: config procfs patch

>There is a difference between doing the ELF thing and putting it in the
>kernel. When it's in the kernel image, we need the kernel image! If we
>don't have the kernel image, having it in the kernel is a nice substitute.
>I think we should do the ELF thing anyway, but as an option, it should be
>possible to include it in the kernel.
>
>On my system (2.0.30) linux/.config is 5102 bytes - much less than 20k.

Sorry if I am being obtuse, but the above paragraph makes little to no sense
to me. The way I see it, if you system is running, you have a kernel image
somewhere. While it is possible to delete the image of a running kernel, in
that case you have bigger problems to worry about than saving your config
file. The only downside of "doing the ELF thing" is that we need an extra
tool to extract the config info from a zImage (or bzImage, or whatever).
This is a problem I am willing to cope with.

===
Evan Jeffrey
erjeffre@artsci.wustl.edu

Let us go. Let us leave this festering hell hole. Let us think the
unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the
ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
--Dirk Gently

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.165 / U:1.752 seconds]