SubjectRe: UseNet Gateway One Way ok?
Ok. Gateway for the kernel mailing list (that was the only testcase
working...) shutdown....

The newsgroups are still available for posting / reading for anyone
interested and I am offering NNTP feed to people interested.

The NNTP feed will include:

- Debian Mailing Lists (one way) (approved by Bruce)
- RedHat Mailing Lists (pending)
- Shadows of Vger Mailing lists. If the general consensus is that
those Mailing lists should not be viewable via NNTP then I will
just allow separate discussion in those forums. I am willing to scramble
the addresses if that would allow me to get the contents of the list
into the NNTP thing.
- Other people are welcome who want to have their mailing lists gatewayed
into Usenet.

The good thing about NNTP access is that you can get an overview about
whats going on in other mailing lists easily. Right now I am just reading
the kernel list and I do not know what is going on on the net list and
other things. With nntp access I was able to just take a look at it which
is very convienient.

Advantages of NNTP:

- Easy access if you just need to have a look at the current situation
without harassment with subscribe unsubscribe archive....

- Threaded reading

- Automatic expiration

- The Volume of the Lists is crazy (sometimes 300.000 mail a day!)

- The Mailing Lists are instable (vger is instable as well)

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Martin von Loewis wrote:

>> Someone told me about the post below. I hope a gateway that does NOT allow
>> a flow back is ok?
>
>Well, I understand the decision not to have UseNet gateways at all
>was made to improve the signal-noise-ratio. I strongly agree with that
>decision. I believe that a read-only gateway would drop the ratio again,
>just because there would be much more passive participants. They would not
>be really passive - they could send mail to linux-kernel@vger at any time.
>People who prefer UseNet to mailing lists should stay with UseNet - there
>are perfectly appropriate groups out there, like comp.os.linux.development.
>
>> It seems that there is a big need for having information in a manageable
>> way and even the restricted ability only to follow the discussion with a
>> newsreader is much more comfortable than e-mail.
>
>I'm not sure I agree that news groups make information more manageable.
>If you can't read mailing lists with your e-mail reader comfortably,
>maybe it's time to switch e-mail readers.
>One of the reasons that there are still mailing lists at all is that
>the participants know very well that they flood other people's mail boxes -
>a problem that some don't consider when posting to UseNet.
>
>Regards,
>Martin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.130 / U:0.420 seconds]