SubjectRe: UseNet Gateway One Way ok?
On Sun, 25 May 1997, Trevor Johnson wrote:

> > Someone told me about the post below. I hope a gateway that does NOT allow
> > a flow back is ok?
>
> A concern about that would be that someone who wishes to send unsolicited
> mass e-mail could get access to the newsfeed, then extract e-mail
> addresses from it. This wouldn't bother me much, because I'm already
> "subscribed" to Cyberpromo's list. I remember from the last time this was
> discussed that others were bothered a lot by this possibility, and
> demanded their addresses be altered so spammers couldn't use them. Those
> on the other side said this would make it difficult to reply, yadda yadda
> yadda.

I tend to agree here. Unless the feed can be restricted to people with a
certified clue, I tend to be against such a one way feed. I have enough
problems with the fuckwits at agis.net as it is without having to deal
with other, admittidly lesser, spamming idiots.

For better or worse, restricting the feed to those with a certified clue
seems to defeat the purpose.

--
Good government. Good government. Sit. Stay.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.158 / U:0.176 seconds]