    SubjectRe: VFS questions
    Date
    > In my current mockup I'm passing the directory through in the options
    > data, but this isn't very clean.
    >
    > Would any other file-system ever need a directory as the "device"? If
    > so I can make some changes to fs/super.c to accomodate it. I don't
    > want to make changes just for one file-system though since I can fake
    > things for now.

    I'm passing the directory in the options data as well. I've been thinking
    about some generic way of doing it too.

    > Now is a very good time to tell me if someone else has already got a
    > working lofs :-)

    Well, I've been doing some work on it. I've got a somewhat buggy read-only
    version you could have a look at. I haven't done much work on it yet, but
    it works sort of. There are some bugs in there, in particular I'm not
    sure about when I should call iget/iput. I need to take a closer look at
    the kernel code. I'm fairly new to kernel hacking. If you still are
    interested, have a look at ftp.nvg.ntnu.no in /venaas/linux.
    null.patch is against 2.1.29, but there are also one for 2.1.36.
    nullmount.c is a simple mount program.

    What I think might be a good idea, is to implement stackable layers.
    lofs or nullfs is then just a null layer. A lot of useful stuff like
    unionfs, cachefs etc. is easier to implement then. One can have layers
    like compression, encryption, acl's, watchdogs etc. For details, see

    http://gost.isi.edu/~johnh/WORK/stacking_faq.html
    and
    http://gost.isi.edu/~johnh/PAPERS/Heidemann91c.html

    Stig

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:3.338 / U:0.436 seconds]