    Subject[Re: Kernel 2.0.30]

    > > What's happening is your klogd is looking for a valid System.map file, and
    > > not finding it. Put the one for your current kernel somwhere where your
    > > klogd will find it.
    >
    > That was exactly the problem. But do we now have to manually copy the
    > System.map to the boot directory when we recompile the kernel? During
    > the kernel compile process, the System.map is placed in the root directory
    > with the kernel.

    Whoa, I was wrong. It seems I am ruuning the Slackware 95 distribution
    on one machine and klogd loads the symbols fine.
    Linux version 2.0.30 (root@ringo) (gcc version 2.7.2) #2 Fri Apr 18 14:01:32 CDT 1997

    The new machine is running the Slackware 3.2 distribution and klogd fails to load the symbols.
    Linux version 2.0.30 (root@shemp) (gcc version 2.7.2.1) #8 Sat May 17 20:48:22 CDT 1997

    Seems it may be the differance in the compilers.
    Here is a sample of the two System.map files.

    Slackware 95
    00100000 T _stext
    00100000 T stext
    00100000 t startup_32
    001000bc t isnew
    00100116 t is486
    00100127 t is386
    0010017d t L6
    0010017f t check_x87
    001001aa t setup_idt

    Slackware 3.2
    0000000000100000 T _stext
    0000000000100000 T stext
    0000000000100000 t startup_32
    00000000001000bc t isnew
    0000000000100116 t is486
    0000000000100127 t is386
    000000000010017d t L6
    000000000010017f t check_x87
    00000000001001aa t setup_idt

    I am running klogd 1.3-0 on the Slackware 3.2 machine. Is there another
    newer version that I should get?

    The only way to get klogd to load the symbols is to run this short shell
    script on the System.map to remove the leading 0s.

    #!/bin/sh
    #
    /bin/mv /System.map /System.tmp
    cat /System.tmp | cut -b9- > /System.map
    exit 0

    --
    Gary White gary@netpathway.com
    Network Administrator http://www.netpathway.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.026 / U:30.284 seconds]