SubjectRe: VFS questions
Date

In <Pine.LNX.3.96.970430191049.1756B-100000@gytha.demon.co.uk> bpaj@gytha.demon.co.uk (Bryn Paul Arnold Jones) writes:

>On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Jon Peatfield wrote:
>>
>> I would like to write a very simple file-system (lofs) which acts like
>> lofs on sunos etc. This mounts one directory onto another.

>Hmm, the loop back device solved this by having a losetup (now
>incorporated in mount) that "attaches" a file to a block device (ie it
>tells the kernel /dev/loop0 is /wherever/somefile). Then when the
>mount(2) comes in, it's all sorted.

This is not how the sun lofs works at all, and from what I can see,
though I haven't been able to find much documentation on the linux
loopback, it is not even possible to emulate the behaviour with linux's
version. All the info I've found on linux's system says that you can
mount files as devices, not directories like in the lofs. You could, I
suppose, use nfs to loop back a directory mount on another directory on
the same machine, but that would restrict the access speed to nfs speed.

--
Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.069 / U:0.152 seconds]