    SubjectRe: kernel 2.0.30
    "Dr. Werner Fink" <werner@suse.de> writes:

    [ ... ]
    > Hmm ... I'm don't think so ... maybe the problem is triggered by the
    > changes in fs/buffer.c but these changes are not the cause for the problem.
    >
    > We heave at S.u.S.E. some support mails and support phone calls for 2.0.25
    > and 2.0.29 with the same problems now often found in 2.0.30. Maybe some
    > of the problems are caused by broken or misconfigured hardware ... but
    > the rest of these phenomenons?

    I also suspect there is at least one bug lurking in 2.0 kernels that
    is causing memory corruption. Some time ago on one of our servers the
    init-process suddenly had a ppid of 1 (instead of 0). Everything else
    seemed to be ok. I thought it was some sort of hardware fault till
    someone else sent a mail to linux-kernel with exactly the same problem
    report.

    Another point is that I had some ocurrences of filesystem corruption
    (nothing dramatic, just a directory that suddenly was a file with
    strange attributes or so) and and some other strange things that made
    me reboot the system.

    I don't think it's hardware-problems, because it's with several
    machines and the worked very solid with previous linux versions. I had
    these problems with 2.0.29, 2.0.27 etc. These problems are showing up
    very seldom.

    So, maybe these things are happening more often with 2.0.30 (i haven't
    installed it). That wouldn't be bad because then we get a change to
    hunt it down.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:29.840 seconds]