SubjectRe: ext2 filesystem corruption?!?!?? (fwd)
On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Dave Wreski wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Doug Ledford wrote:
> > A simple shell script like this will run four simultaneous badblocks programs
> > on the drive. A person can then check the files in the /tmp directory to see
> > if any were returned as bad. With modern IDE or SCSI drives, all of these
> > files should have a zero length unless one of two things is true. One, you
> > have a drive developing too many bad sectors to be mapped out (which is cause
>
> Ok, I'm willing to run your script on my new Seagate 2.1 Wide, aha2940uw.
>
> The only concern I have is if it does in fact produce an error, how are
> we to prove it is not the hard disk, among other things, or the driver?

Well, if there's an error, you can't blame ext2, because this test
bypasses it. It can be either hardware (disk, memory, controller,
motherboard,...), or software (low-level hardware drivers - High-level
SCSI, mid-level SCSI disk, or low-level AIC7xxx.). Then you have to do
other tests (memtest-86 for example to rule out the memory and cache,
massive compile can pretty rule-out memory, cache and motherboard).
Then only software drivers and hard disk controller/disk remain. You can
swap the disk for another to rule it out, change controller, or fiddle
with driver compile switch...

Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater

#include <disclaimer.h>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.066 / U:0.140 seconds]