SubjectRe: Solaris source (fwd)
On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, C.J. Beyer wrote:

> The REAL reason is to help out Linux, IMHO.
>
> > I don't think (despite what that dude from SGI said) that Sun is
> > competing with Linux, nor do I beleive that it is their aim. Being a Sun
> > employee myself (and no I don't speak for them) I can tell you this for
> > certain.
>
> Of course. Sun knows that it's money customers aren't interested in
> Linux when they can have a well supported OS.

SunSoft's support is certainly much better than what you get from
a lot of other commercial OS vendors, but IMHO it simply cannot match the
informal Linux support network in terms of overall quality and (of
course) price. Besides, you can buy telephone tech support for Linux
from independent companies like Caldera.

> > > Basically, Sun is NO better than M$, it just happens to be smaller and
> > > thus seen as the underdog.
> >
> > When's the last time you saw Sun bully smaller companies into selling out?
> > Gimme a break.
>
> SUN rocks.

They are a good-hearted company (in general) with savvy
management, good core tech and an innovative attitude. They are one of
the best of the commercial vendors.

> Solaris is the single best UNIX available right now.`

In terms of what? No first-tier commercial UNIX that I know of
can touch Linux in terms of stability and speed, especially networking
speed.

> Everyone knows that. I think their goal is to allow the linux kernel
> hackers to check out their source.

I think their goal is to make every user a beta-tester and
bug-fixer, which is one of Linux's greatest strengths.

> They know Linux is the biggest threat
> to MS. The more popular Linux/UNIX gets, the better off they are.

Dead wrong. Linux will kill other UNIXen before it kills NT.
It's only logical. I bet that Linux is already seriously hurting sales
of SCO and Solaris/X86.

Jon

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:5.379 / U:0.012 seconds]