    SubjectRe: URGENT: A Plea to the owners of
    I am also sometimes tired with high amount of messages in this list,
    caused also by below mentioned problem.

    My point of view is easy. If no one will respond for off-topic
    questions (or respond with "please, go somewhere else, this is
    off-topic question"), these people will disappear themselves.

    Jan Klabacka

    On 2 Apr 97 at 14:15, Dave Barr wrote:

    > In article <199704021759.MAA00370@jenolan.caipgeneral>,
    > David S. Miller <> wrote:
    > >I think it is just as much of a mistake to tell a new user to go blow
    > >even if he posts his legitimate questions here.
    > Nobody's suggesting this. I agree new users may have legitimate
    > questions, but it's clear (see below) that they do not have legitimate
    > questions _here_. All we're asking is that they be nudged elsewhere.
    > >As for the offtopic'ness as of late, the past few days have been
    > >filled with "clueful postings" and in fact your posting here is the
    > >first break in that spell. Touche'
    > Well, to further confuse the issue with some facts, let's in fact
    > look at the subjects of the past 3 days, shall we?

    > Maybe you're reading a different list than I am, but for the past
    > few days I see one and ONLY one on-topic post. Sure, some may
    > be "clueful", but for another list entirely.
    > >There really isn't anything that can be "done" about offtopic postings
    > >(as others have pointed out) and segregating the kernel list is not
    > >going to happen at least as long as I run them at vger.
    > Well, that's a rather dissappointing stance.
    > I whole-heartedly agree with Todd Lewis's post. I'm a lurker here too,
    > hoping to suck off kernel insights. However kernel stuff is _only_
    > what this list is for. I've been a part of many lists, and unfortunately
    > this is a natural progression as a list comes of age (or past its age).
    > I recall a rather amusing post by I belive Brent Chapman (owner of
    > the Firewalls Digest) describing the four stages of any mailing list.
    > If Mr. Miller chooses not to do something, that's fine. I hope
    > someone takes it upon themself to volunteer and send _polite_ messages
    > to off-topic posters suggesting more appropriate lists for their
    > inquiries. It would be nice to have some sort of quasi-moderation
    > on this list.
    > --Dave

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:153.440 seconds]