    SubjectRe: thousands of threads & kernel continuations
    Date
    > The Utah Mach project went further and observed that clients can lend
    > their threads to the servers which process their RPC calls. Not only do
    > you not have to keep all those kernel stacks around, but servers don't
    > even need to create service threads in the first place, because their
    > clients will lend them ones when the time comes. Furthermore, the latency

    It was about this point why I finally decided the utah mach people had
    gone totally off their trolley (Apart from the fact many of the papers
    are great where code isnt). Making a call where you block and lend
    the person your stack is known in normal programming as

    a function call

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:92.536 seconds]