    SubjectRe: kernel structures 2.0.29->2.0.30
       Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:51:39 -0400
    From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>

    I think this is COMPLETELY unacceptable for a _SUPPOSEDLY_ stable
    release.

    There are cases where serious performance problems, bugs, and security
    holes need to change these structures in order to do the fix at all.
    There are some vendors out there who will try to not do the fix just
    to keep all the third part vendor drivers from breaking (I'm not
    mentioning any names) but this can get out of control and does more
    harm than good.

    On another issue, the fact that things which stick their noses into
    kernel memory like lsof even exist, is a bad thing in itself. If the
    facilities completely necessary for such a tool do not exist in procfs
    as it exists now, the new features necessary should be added so that
    there are no common programs which need to look at the kernels
    internal data structures via kmem at all.

    Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
    199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
    ethernet. Beat that! ////
    David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:60.740 seconds]