SubjectRe: general protection in 2.0.30
On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> From: Dan Hollis <goemon@sasami.anime.net>
> GP from Linux 2.0.30. This machine is a heavy dialup server (32 ports)
> as well as squid/sendmail/web/etc.
> Are you using any sort of modules at all?

Yes. eql, ppp, slhc and ip_alias are currently modules.

> And what kind of serial driver are you using? The standard "dumb"
> serial card? Cyclades? Rocketport? Digiboard? etc.....

Standard serial driver (2 x 2016's).

IMHO the setserial with multiport support (2.12) should be pushed as
standard. I've been using it for almost 2(?) years now. Every vendor seems
to still be shipping 2.10.

> Are you perchance using ppp as a module? It looks like the crash
> happened inside the ppp line discpline, which was loaded as a module.
> Does this match with your system configuration?

Yes.

> If so, try compiling ppp into the kernel, instead of using it as a
> module.

Does the static limit on ppp devices still exist with ppp compiled into
the kernel? This is mainly why I compiled it as a module. We have 32
ports on one box and 64 on another.

> Given that you have a dedicated dialup server, it's a really good idea
> just in general

Why?

> and it'll help with the debugging process.

Yes, but isn't there *any* way to get debugging info from modules? :-/

-Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.053 / U:0.080 seconds]