SubjectRe: Intel AGP..
Date
> Even with proper support (in which the memory management routines have to
> keep track of where in physical memory textures lie) it seems to me to be
> a questionable feature just to avoid adding a decent amount of
> video/texture RAM to 3D hardware directly (also, word from those who know,
> say it doesn't even help very much).

The computer industry targets the masses who dream big but have
relatively shallow pockets. All the recent dubious "innovations"
are because of this IMHO. The most laughable being the PentiumII.
Quality is not the key, buy quantity is.

Now as for textures in main memory - ya, right! The problem here
is memory bandwith, with the CPU and the graphics engine fighting
over it. CPUs are already starved for memory bandwidth as it is.

--
Andrew E. Mileski mailto:aem@netcom.ca
Linux Plug-and-Play Hardware Support http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.205 / U:0.236 seconds]