SubjectRe: "Transmitter access conflict" with 2.0.30
(yes, i know this is offtopic for linux-kernel, but it should help
eliminate a LOT of posts)

The 3c590 appears to work fine in low traffic situations, but hang
and otherwise act up in high traffic ones. As the 3c900, its succesor,
already has a number of proven hardware bugs; i would expect the same
is true for the 3c590.

for an excellent inexpensive DEC tulip based card, I'd recommend
the kingston cards.
necx has them for $42 (www.necx.com, i haven't actually deal with them)
and atipa has them for $49 (www.atipa com, i have dealt with them,
very nice to deal with, specialize in linux and freebsd)
no guarantees, obviously, but just personal experience.

also, the 0.66 driver off of ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers
seems to be incredibly solid and fast. i got 1.24MB/sec between two tulip
cards, with nothing else on the segment.

For 100mb cards, I haven't used the kingston but would imagine that they
would work well.

--Simon Karpen

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Michael Brennen wrote:

> Any recommendations on tulip cards? I've got a 3c590 that has only acted
> up once in about 9 months, but I'm getting leery of it as traffic grows.
>
> -- Michael

Simon Karpen
karpes@rpi.edu, slk@acm.rpi.edu, slk@karpes.stu.rpi.edu
In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
--Scott McNealy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.040 / U:0.224 seconds]