    > Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 11:27:12 +0200
    > From: Olaf Titz <>
    > We should specify an interface with which a loadable module,
    > developed outside the U.S., could provide crypto functions, and
    > other modules or parts of the kernel could elect to use them if
    > available.
    > Won't work, there are laws that say it is also illegal to export
    > anything which "allows non-exportable crypto to be plugged in
    > easily".
    > There were changes many months ago to Glibc specifically because of
    > this problem.

    Linus creates a kernel with encryption in it.
    He encrypts it with an international encryption algorithym (blowfish for eg)
    or even a few of them... you never know who the CIA has bought.
    He exports the encrypted code.
    Someone in (for example) Finland de-encrypts it and put it one their site.

    This essentially creates a catch-22 (or double bind in Psychology) situation
    for the government. They have been avoiding telling the world how much they can
    crack.... if they want to prosecute Linus they would have to reveal what they
    can crack.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.017 / U:7.328 seconds]