SubjectRe: [Crypto] Re: ftp.kernel.org vs. ftp.funet.fi
Date
Systemkennung Linux once wrote:

> I hate the idea of a diced libc/kernel etc. just like you but the FSF
> is paranoid about legal things and they're probably right because
> being sued about such an issue might ruin them. As I understand law
> it would have been fully sufficient to modify the DES code of crypt()
> such that it can no longer be used for encryption and decryption to
> satisfy ITAR.

Looks like SunOS 4.x was able to escape restrictions by renaming
ecb_crypt and cbc_crypt to strings of hexidecimal digits that are not
declared at header files but can be still used internally for
authnication. Is "nm" exportable? :)

--
_. _ .
(_ ,_ _ , . / ` _ _L | Email: Oleg Kibirev <snowcat@netgate.net>