SubjectRe: [Crypto] Re: vs.
On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Oskar Pearson wrote:

> "David S. Miller" writes:
> > Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 11:27:12 +0200
> > From: Olaf Titz <>

> Linus creates a kernel with encryption in it.
> He encrypts it with an international encryption algorithym (blowfish for eg)
> or even a few of them... you never know who the CIA has bought.
> He exports the encrypted code.
> Someone in (for example) Finland de-encrypts it and put it one their site.
> This essentially creates a catch-22 (or double bind in Psychology) situation
> for the government. They have been avoiding telling the world how much they can
> crack.... if they want to prosecute Linus they would have to reveal what they
> can crack.

You forget that various US security agencies make their own rules. They
are not governed by rule-of-law. We need to get Congress to control this
not-too-hidden "government". You do this by flooding Congress with proposals
for a new law to remove any restrictions on the export of so-called
encryption technology. You have to actually write the law yourself because
the Congress is basically too dumb to know what you are talking about.

Dick Johnson
Richard B. Johnson
Project Engineer
Analogic Corporation
Voice : (508) 977-3000 ext. 3754
Fax : (508) 532-6097
Modem : (508) 977-6870
Ftp :
Email :,
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.35 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).
Warning : I read unsolicited mail for $350.00 per hour. Supply billing address.