    SubjectRe: [Crypto] Re: ftp.kernel.org vs. ftp.funet.fi
    >>    We should specify an interface with which a loadable module,
    >> developed outside the U.S., could provide crypto functions, and
    >> other modules or parts of the kernel could elect to use them if
    >> available.
    >>
    >> Won't work, there are laws that say it is also illegal to export
    >> anything which "allows non-exportable crypto to be plugged in
    >> easily".
    >>
    >> There were changes many months ago to Glibc specifically because of
    >> this problem.
    >Hmm.

    >Linus creates a kernel with encryption in it.
    >He encrypts it with an international encryption algorithym (blowfish for
    >eg)
    > or even a few of them... you never know who the CIA has bought. He
    >exports the encrypted code.
    >Someone in (for example) Finland de-encrypts it and put it one their site.

    >This essentially creates a catch-22 (or double bind in Psychology)
    >situation for the government. They have been avoiding telling the world
    >how much they can crack.... if they want to prosecute Linus they would
    >have to reveal what they can crack.

    I have always been under the impression that the CIA would just shoot someone who put them in such a position. But maybe I'm wrong and the CIA is really a caring organization with the interests of American residents at heart, and that it's officers are fine law abiding citizens who would never kill anyone.

    Russell Coker

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.028 / U:0.328 seconds]