    SubjectRe: [Fwd: Linux]
    Troy Muller <> writes:

    > I've been discussing whether Linux (or BSDI, or other shareware Unix-like
    > o/s) can be made a part of Informix' porting strategy.
    > At the moment, it appears that the answer is 'no' because Linux does not
    > support features which Informix-OnLine needs. I don't have the precise
    > details of what these absent features are, but candidates are:
    > * System V IPC (shared memory)
    > * System V IPC (semaphores)
    > * System V TLI (transport layer interface)
    > * System V Streams (for olipcstr connectivity)
    > Does anyone who is sufficicently familiar with Linux know whether these
    > features are available or not? I suspect that these are not the missing
    > features, so if you volunteer an answer, can you also indicate whether I
    > can tax you with other feature issues.
    > Yours,
    > Jonathan Leffler ( #include <disclaimer.h>

    Linux supports full System V IPC. However, it does not, and probably
    never will, support TLI or STREAMS because both are inefficient
    without severe abstraction-barrier breakage.

    Aaron M. Ucko ( | For Geek Code, PGP public key, and other info,
    finger | "Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous.
    Do not attempt it in your home." -- T. Pratchett & N. Gaiman, _Good Omens_

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.028 / U:5.768 seconds]