       Date: 	Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:41:48 -0600 (CST)
    From: Phil Lewis <>

    I, personally, would like it very much if the real kernel development
    could be carried on on linux-kernel. Maybe its the lack of in-depth
    discussion of kernel internal workings that makes people think we have
    time to worry about what 1 divided by zero equals.

    I've noticed that when the mailing list got gatewayed to USENET, the
    average quality of the postings went *way* down. At least (as far as I
    know), most of the people who actually write code are still listening on
    this list, even if they don't post as much these days.

    The problem is that none of us has time to respond to every single
    lame-brained idea that gets raised. Ah, for the good old days when most
    of the "I've got a great idea" was usually followed (in the same
    message) with a "and here's a patch which implements it".

    We still have some of that, but there are a lot of people who seem to be
    posting on the list simply aren't kernel developers, and don't have the
    expertise to do kernel development. Sigh.....

    - Ted

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.041 / U:0.588 seconds]