SubjectRe: what is a halted kernel supposed to do?
I don't know what POSIX says. Currently, when asked to halt, Linux
appears to kill all processes, then loop in schedule().

What this DOESN'T do is disable interrupts. User stuff grinds to a halt,
but life goes on for the interrupt handlers and all attached to them,
like SCSI, networking (arp, ping) etcetera. To kill the handlers, cli().
That's easy, but I don't know exactly where to put it. [Richard Johnson
did. I'm reading digest as I write this]

As for what Linux _should_ do, my vote's currently for killing the
handlers. Although the previously mentioned AIX box that routed packets
during OS installation sounds really cool, my gut says most sysadmins
_expect_ the box to stop everything when told to.

Don't like my opinions? I've got others!

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.038 / U:1.148 seconds]