    SubjectRe: URGENT: A Plea to the owners of linux.dev.kernel
    Date
    In article <199704021759.MAA00370@jenolan.caipgeneral>,
    David S. Miller <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu> wrote:
    >I think it is just as much of a mistake to tell a new user to go blow
    >even if he posts his legitimate questions here.

    Nobody's suggesting this. I agree new users may have legitimate
    questions, but it's clear (see below) that they do not have legitimate
    questions _here_. All we're asking is that they be nudged elsewhere.

    >As for the offtopic'ness as of late, the past few days have been
    >filled with "clueful postings" and in fact your posting here is the
    >first break in that spell. Touche'

    Well, to further confuse the issue with some facts, let's in fact
    look at the subjects of the past 3 days, shall we?

    7 ld.so 1.9.1 and glibc 2.0.1 # library, not kernel related
    2 login # not kernel related
    2 Weird happenstance with mdrun # belongs on linux.dev.raid
    2 URGENT: A Plea to the owners of linux.dev.kernel
    2 SLIP/PPP Login Shells # not kernel related
    2 Redhat, Slackware 96 or Slackware 3.1? # not kernel rlated
    2 Problems w/ time restriction in diald 0.16.1 (fwd) # belongs on diald list
    2 Problem wiht libraries # not kernel related
    2 Graphics programs in Xdos. # not kernel related
    2 Database prog required... # not kernel related
    2 Converting ascii to ebcdic, and vice versa # not kernel related
    1 splitscreen # not kernel related
    1 someone turned off the computer... # not kernel related
    1 simple modem tool wanted # not kernel related
    1 pcmcia ethernet/modem # not kernel related
    1 malloc() && 2-D arrays # general programming problem, not kernel related
    1 kernel_version needed, but cannot be found # ON TOPIC!
    1 getty doesn't work! # not kernel related
    1 diald new user # not kernel related
    1 X and a S3 Virge PCI? #2 # not kernel related
    1 TP755CD, linux, xf86quake # not kernel related
    1 Syn flood protection? # belongs on linux.dev.net
    1 SYSV tape ioctl error # not kernel related
    1 SCSI or ftape? # not kernel related
    1 SCSI Cables and aha2940 # not kernel related
    1 Raid0 and RH4.1 Installation. # not kernel related
    1 Multiple IP's # belongs on linux.dev.net
    1 I'm interested in 32bpp # not kernel related
    1 How do I partition my hard drives? # not kernel related
    1 Hmmm... Actually, I think the problem is masquerading... # belons on diald
    1 Heavens Gate # not kernel related
    1 DHCP # not kernel related
    1 Bad sectors in Linux # not kernel related
    1 B-Channel usage # belongs on linux.dev.isdn

    Maybe you're reading a different list than I am, but for the past
    few days I see one and ONLY one on-topic post. Sure, some may
    be "clueful", but for another list entirely.

    >There really isn't anything that can be "done" about offtopic postings
    >(as others have pointed out) and segregating the kernel list is not
    >going to happen at least as long as I run them at vger.

    Well, that's a rather dissappointing stance.

    I whole-heartedly agree with Todd Lewis's post. I'm a lurker here too,
    hoping to suck off kernel insights. However kernel stuff is _only_
    what this list is for. I've been a part of many lists, and unfortunately
    this is a natural progression as a list comes of age (or past its age).
    I recall a rather amusing post by I belive Brent Chapman (owner of
    the Firewalls Digest) describing the four stages of any mailing list.

    If Mr. Miller chooses not to do something, that's fine. I hope
    someone takes it upon themself to volunteer and send _polite_ messages
    to off-topic posters suggesting more appropriate lists for their
    inquiries. It would be nice to have some sort of quasi-moderation
    on this list.

    --Dave

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:30.156 seconds]