       From: Todd Graham Lewis <>
    Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 12:42:28 -0500

    The kernel developers' list has been riddled with off-topic,
    inappropriate posts for a while now, and the trend is getting much
    worse. This is a very real problem, especially given the
    propensity of Linux users and developers never to rebuke an
    inappropriate posting, or even when rebuking the poster to offer an
    answer to his question, thereby offering absolutely no incentive
    for newbies et al. to go to the help groups rather than to the
    friggin' kernel developers' list.

    I think it is just as much of a mistake to tell a new user to go blow
    even if he posts his legitimate questions here. He will just as soon
    stop being a Linux user, primary developers giving acceptance and help
    to new users is what Linux is all about. While I do get annoyed when
    I am flooded with simplistic questions I still have to sit back and
    remember what it is that keeps this project going, and what will
    continue to.

    As for the offtopic'ness as of late, the past few days have been
    filled with "clueful postings" and in fact your posting here is the
    first break in that spell. Touche'

    There really isn't anything that can be "done" about offtopic postings
    (as others have pointed out) and segregating the kernel list is not
    going to happen at least as long as I run them at vger. So my
    response it going to be to setup a procmail filter so you don't have
    to look at the crapola threads...

    Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
    199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
    ethernet. Beat that! ////

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:48.132 seconds]