    SubjectRe: procfs problems

    > It is certainly possible to write the information in /proc so that it is
    > mostly human readable, but not so incredibly verbose that it is now.

    The verbosity does not take kernel memory because proc 'files' are generated
    automatically. Only the code and strings needed to generate the data
    must be in memory.

    > I think, that these huge text tables in static unswappable memory in the
    > kernel has absolutely no business being there.

    How big are the text tables now? My guess is that they are rather
    small. For example, the total size of procfs is 38K, that includes
    all of the code (except for driver specific data). The saving in text
    would be small and balanced against more code, both user and kernel.

    > Your rescue disk could easily have a 'lspci' program on it.

    Why have an extra utility? Text is a basic data type in Unix and can
    be easily handled by many tools.

    - Ian

    --
    -- Ian Burrell == iburrell@leland.stanford.edu **
    <URL:http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~iburrell/>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:0.172 seconds]