    SubjectRe: procfs problems
    On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, DUPRE Christophe wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Dan Hollis wrote:
    > > Looking at /proc/pci, it got me to thinking about kernel bloat :-) If we
    > > were to take all the text out of pci.c and put it in an external program
    > > (call it "pciconfig" or "lspci") and have /proc/pci just output hex
    > > numbers, we could save several kilobytes off the size of the kernel. It
    > > would also probably be easier for programs to parse /proc/pci if they
    > > needed configuration information.
    > Let me object on this : most things in /proc must be human-readable
    > without looking up a manpage.

    I think this is bogus.

    /proc/stat, /proc/uptime, /proc/net/icmp, /proc/net/snmp,
    /proc/sys/vm/bdflush, etc are all obviously not for human consumption.

    > I for one often use this information while setting up a system, using a
    > boot/root disk. I don't what to add any software to my root disk which
    > is already packed.

    Whether the information is in an external program or the kernel, it is
    going to take roughly the same amount of space. I for one don't want these
    tables (which will continue to grow!) statically in the kernel in
    non-swappable space.

    There is currently about 5 kilobytes of static text in pci.c, and IMHO it
    has absolutely no business being there.

    > I often use /proc/pci to know the io address of a network card to
    > insmod the driver to do an nfs install... If the text was to suddenly
    > disappear from /proc/pci, I don't know how I could use it. Remember,
    > it's when all hell breaks loose that /proc is the most usefull (and to
    > monitor the system in normal conditions, agreed). And there are not
    > many Ks of text in that file... Well, most of it is dynamically
    > produced anyway.

    In this case I think you are wrong.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.039 / U:69.872 seconds]