    SubjectRe: 2nd Linux kernel patch to remove stack exec
    Date
    Hello!

    > When you say "those executing code on the stack will have stack
    > execution permission automatically enabled" you do realize that any
    > program which has a signal delivered to it will "execute code on the
    > stack" via the kernel itself? Since just about every program I know

    I do realize that: I modified signal handling.

    > of which is of any utility takes a signal now and then during normal
    > operation, doesn't this turn off your protection in enough cases to
    > make it of little use?

    It doesn't. Actually, I always temporary turn my protection off while
    handling a signal, but it is enabled again for the rest of the code.

    Looking at the messages being posted on the subject, I think some people
    missed some of the stuff I explained in the message containing the 2nd
    patch. I intentionally made that message in form of a FAQ, thinking of
    the questions that are likely to appear. So I suggest to have a look at
    that message once again. :)

    Signed,
    Solar Designer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:60.184 seconds]