SubjectRe: ext2 filesystem corruption?!?!??
Date
> This brings up something I was mentioned a while back without any
> takers. One of the reasons Solaris is so stable, especially under
> loaded conditions, is that Sun tests the hell out of their OS.

Chortle. I can knock Solaris boxes over with crashme about once every
10 minutes. Linux/Sparc stays up.

> Wouldn't it make sense to have a test suite for the Linux kernel? It's
> pretty sad when Linux has been in production machines for years, and the
> above is the confidence level people hold Linux and its drivers up to.

Lots of people do a lot of stress tests. This includes the fact the net
changes often get tested on vger.rutgers.edu, that Davem runs horrible
sparc torture tests and most of us make heavy use of big iozone and
crashme runs

> A test suite to stress-test as many scenarios as possible would be nice,
> and would help establish a minimum standard of performance/stabliity for
> drivers in the kernel.

Linux 2.1 is to a great extent that stuff ready for testing. If you want
to put a bunch of people together to write the "brutalize kernel" suite
please do - it would be a great project for use on all OS's

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.086 / U:1.492 seconds]