SubjectRe: what is a halted kernel supposed to do?
On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Louis Mandelstam wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Marty Leisner wrote:
>
> > What is a system supposed to do when its halted?
> >
> > My linux 2.0.29 system still responds to pings.

I dunno enough about the capabilities of PC network cards (probably they
are dumb as most PC hardware is), but we had a case of an AIX gateway
machine a few years ago which was halted, hard disk low level formatted (I
think it was actually replaced due to a hardware failure which was the
actual reason for the reinstall) and new OS installed but NOT power
cycled in this time. And during all this time it still performed its
gateway routing function, not just responding to pings. As far as I know
the Ethernet cards were complete computers on there own there, and
probably did the routing between them alone doing some MicroChannel
Busmaster stuff.

Thus, if you don't want a halted machine respond to pings but be inactive
on the net, you should really explicitly down the network cards with
ifconfig in the shutdown script (probably /etc/rc.d/rc.0 or soemthing).

(eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de or eowmob@pollux.exp-math.uni-essen.de
Please do not use my vm or de0hrz1a accounts anymore. In case of real
problems reaching me try mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de instead.)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.030 / U:0.044 seconds]