SubjectRe: Kernel 2.0.29 - Ultrastor SCSI messages
Dario_Ballabio@milano.europe.dg.com wrote:

> %UATTACH
> >"Kernel 2.0.29 - Ultrastor SCSI messages"
> >I compiled a new kernel 2.0.29. I have a SCSI adaptor (Ultrastor 14F), a
> >SCSI HD and a SCSI CDROM. When I reboot with the new kernel, I get a
> >lots of the following messages.
> >
> >U14F0: ihdlr, mbox 3, err 0x92:0, target 0.0:0, pid 909, count 1153
> >
> >I get these messages after ending an "startx" session.
> >
> Any time an i/o operation completes in error, the interrupt handler
> in u14-34f prints a line of warning like the above.
> On error 0x92 (data over/underrun) the driver retries (up to 64 times)
> until the operation succeeds, otherwise it reports the error to the
> scsi upper layer. If there were no further messages from the driver
> or the scsi subsystem, you can safely ignore the warning: the error
> has been recovered.
> This kind of error is likely with old firmware revisions and also
> with the latest one in case of heavy sequential i/o (using big
> record sizes). Basically it means that the board has been stressed
> at its limits and a little over, and the driver is doing its best
> in order to avoid that the upper scsi layer could gets upset and take
> inappropriate abort/reset actions in this transient situation.
> Users can notice this errors when upgrading from 1.2.13 to 2.0.x,
> since the performance improvement of 2.0.x trigger more problems
> in the Ultrastor firmware.
>
> db

What can I do before compiling a new kernel to stop seeing these kinds
of messages? I turned off all "probe all LUNS devices" and "SCSI verbose
error messaging" etc.

Are the kernel 2.0.x kernels, giving messages like this to UltraStor
only? Is there any 2.0.x kernel that will stop giving these kinds of
messages?

TIA.

SubbaRao

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.031 / U:0.568 seconds]