    SubjectLinux 2.1.27

    My experiences with 2.1.27 have been fairly good, but I do have questions.

    * heavy SCSI activity locked up my machine completely. I'd give out the
    error messages and warnings, but there are none. In kernel 2.0.29 I
    usually get longer uptimes (when running a system-killer IO script)

    * where do these errors come from when booting:

    Mar 1 18:34:39 escape kernel: Error seeking in /dev/kmem
    Mar 1 18:34:39 escape kernel: Error adding kernel module table entry.

    I could not find them in the kernel sources.

    * in.h and un.h do not have sa_family_t defined... I fixed this by
    including linux/socket.h in each of them

    * I get lots of these:

    Mar 1 23:00:02 escape kernel: TCPv4 bad checksum from 42027bcc:0050 to 229aa1ce
    :0467, len=1480/1480/1500

    This occurs in the middle of a bunch of auth/tcp server failing messages.
    I don't remember them in the recent past.

    * I get a message when disconnecting from my ISP about pppd not
    properly specifying its route, and this is another error message
    that I cannot find.

    * traceroute runs for me... but all legs marked unreachable... I have
    the net-tools packages recommended in the changelog

    * when using ftp now, traffic is much higher than before at all times
    except file transfer, which seems normal (if a tiny bit slower)
    I'm running PPP, not ethernet.

    * nfs modules on my system no longer work... failed dependencies, even
    when it looks to me like everything should be fine.

    * has anyone noticed if X operations seem slower? I'll have time for
    real testing next week... but for right now, I at least ``feel''
    like X slowed down.

    I should mention I've had SCSI trouble since the first day I upgraded
    to a DPT 2044W PCI controller. As kernel revisions marched forward
    from 1.3.9x, the problems have gradually gone away, but I still have
    occasional lockups with no warnings errors and/or scsi bus lockups after
    warnings about media sense and/or timeouts.

    It is not my hardware, cables, drives, etc. The system works flawlessly
    with a slower (1540B) controller. Something wicked yet lurks in the
    SCSI code, IMHO.

    I did the full upgrade of all compiler/library/loader/etc packages and
    it runs fairly well but for the problems above.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:62.732 seconds]