SubjectPnP internal modem
I'm trying to help someone get an internal Plug'n'Play modem work with the
linux kernel and DIP. He's managed to get the modem card configured and
activated properly through my pnp4kernel patch, but can't get setserial to
find the modem.

He says:

> I have been reading the setserial man page, and have learned some things.
> The current situation is that your configuration, activate, and request for
> information echos work just fine and gives proper responses on the screen
> for the modem io address and irq number [using my PnP interface]. But the
> "${SETSERIAL}... command gives that "Permission denied" message on the
> screen. That is strange because the command seems OK.

> After bootup with only that single error, I can setserial manually myself.
> Now it works fine. First I do just "setserial /dev/cua1," and it returns the
> uart type, io address, and irq number. That is great, because I finally
> discovered definitively that my modem has a uart of 16550A. The manual says
> 16C550, and a Windows 95 window says UART: NS16550AN. What does a fellow
> believe these days?

> I also see that the modem is set naturally to an io address of 3f8 and irq 3.

> Then I do setserial as in the rc.local script you specified, and it sets the
> modem as we have wanted, io 110 and irq 5. This is great, but DIP still does
> not go, and I cannot get "echo HELLO >/dev/cua1" or "cat </dev/cua1" to
> work.

> There are two problems: why does the "${SETSERIAL..." command not work in
> the rc.local script, and why does it not properly set the modem when I do it
> manually and the result seems OK?

I asked him for some information about his modem:
> Here some statements from the Telepath 28.8 Fax Modem User Guide that came
> with my Gateway 2000 rig: Configuration, standard half-size expansion card;
> Interface, 8-bit ISA-bus connector; COM ports and interrupts, Supports
> Microsoft Plug and Play version 1.0a-for automatic configuration under
> Windows 95; Data modes, Supports V.34+,V34,V.FC,V.32bis,V.32,V.22bis,V.22,
> V.21,Bell 103,and 212A. There are more specifications, but they seem less
> relevant.

The PNP ID is USR1001.

Many thanks for any help,
David Howells

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.023 / U:0.064 seconds]