    SubjectRe: [masq] 1st virus in Linux :( (fwd)
    On  7 Feb, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Chris Y. wrote:
    >
    > > Just picked this off of one my my mailing lists... you should check it
    > > out.
    >
    > > Its target is users who play games such as doom over the Internet with
    > ^^^^
    > > root access.
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > this says it all .... :)

    Doesn't doom give up root access once it has io perms to the video
    hardware, etc.? I would think this would only be a problem if run by
    root which is just simply a stupid thing to do. Isn't this a case of
    those that are causual about security get what they deserve?

    If I am correct, then McAfee should be clearer about the threat because
    their web page doesn't help Linux at all by suggesting that it is the
    first Unix that is suseptable to a virus and pointing out that all the
    Windoze OSes are not vulnerable to it.

    Ty

    --
    Tyson D Sawyer <tyson@rwii.com> RWI, Inc. has been supplying leading edge
    Senior Systems Engineer mobile robotics technology since 1983

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:94.476 seconds]