SubjectRe: reliability
Date
> Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Linux reliability has been questioned. Here is an example of demonstrated
> > reliability. I re-booted it a few days ago to replace one of the tape drives
> > which has worn out and needs to be refurbished.

[snip]

> I wish I could say the same - I've had three crasshes on two different
> machines in the last month. One of them today. No messages or oops, I
> can't repeat it. I had to hit the reset button, yuck! Still, it's a
> lot better than when I was using windows and would have to reboot many
> times a week.
>
> I'm using them for (application) software development. Maybe I write
> buggy software :-).

I know not much can be done to help it, but anything using svgalib is
a detriment to stability. I can take down all of my linux boxen with
"zgv", a .jpg file or two, and a couple of keystrokes. It's a solid freeze,
no vga console, serial terminal or network, and no log messages.

Russ
| Russ Steffen |
| EMail: rsteffen@ia.net |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.031 / U:0.744 seconds]