SubjectRe: depmod oopses + workaround patch
On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, David S. Miller wrote:

> From: Richard Henderson <richard@atheist.tamu.edu>
> Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:51:25 -0600 (CST)
>
> If after that you still have problems... well, contact me and we'll
> figure something out.
>
> As a side note, are the new modutils supposed to be backward
> compatable with 2.0.x kernels? The reason I ask is that I still have
> to support 2.0.x Sparc kernels and build them for releases on the same
> machine I do my main development on. I'd like to have your latest
> modutils on that machine (which is currently the case) and still be
> able to build 2.0.x kernels with those modutils as well, and have such
> kernel/module binaries work for users with 2.0.x based systems who
> have no desire to move to the 2.1.x series at all.

Yes, this is what they are doing now. The only restriction (not sure if it
can't be lifted) is that you must compile the utilities with a 2.1 source
tree (to get the proper syscall definition).

I have spent quite some time on it with 2.0 kernel to make sure all was
fine. I have not tried them on linux Sparc though.

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf
new development: linuxconf configure dhcpd since 1.9r7

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.071 / U:0.072 seconds]