SubjectRe: SCSI problems still there
  From: Michael Thomas <mike@fasolt.mtcc.com>
Date: 25 Feb 1997 12:15:10 -0800

> If you look at the changes in 2.0.29, you will see that there have been no
> changes to the SCSI subsystem nor to the Adaptec 1542 driver that would
> explain this lockup problem. In fact, 2.0.29 contains very few changes of
> any kind.

If this is the same problem, it would tend to
implicate either the generic SCSI code or st.c
since I'm getting similar unhappiness on the
BusLogics controller. I've been send Kai mail with
as much info as I can dig up about my
configuration and what I'm actually seeing. If you
know of anything else which might be suspicious,
I'd be happy to help track it down.

If 2.0.28 works fine and 2.0.29 fails, and there are no changes to the SCSI
code that would explain such a failure, then I would not assume that it is a
bug in either the common SCSI code or SCSI tape code. Logically it must either
be a latent bug in the SCSI code that's been uncovered by some other change, or
a bug in some other code that just happens to manifest as a SCSI problem.

I would suggest that the people seeing this problem try to determine which
kernel version introduces the problem, and then see if it can be tracked down
to a specific change. There's not much those of us who do not see the problem
can do to debug it until we have more information to go on. I recently had to
do just such a binary search over the 2.0.x kernels to find out which one
introduced the major slowdown with buffer handling in e2fsck.

Leonard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.041 / U:0.616 seconds]