SubjectRe: HELP !!! - Deleted Libc.so.5 ooops!
Date
: I've been updating to the new kernel ( version 2 ) from 1.2.13. which I
: compiled successfully using GCC 2.7.0. I've been following the help page
: instructed me to update libc from 5.0.9 to 5.2.18. This I downloaded and
: installed this morning. It placed libc.so.5.2.18 into /lib, but it did not
: link from libc.co.5, so .......
:
: I deleted libc.so.5 in pre for making a hard link to libc.so.5.2.18. STUPID
: I now realise as this disabled ln,mv,cp, just about everything. I sat
: smoking for a while thinking shit happens, and then though I had the answer
: to life, universe and everything....ie :

I ran into similar problems repeatedly and found only one way to work
around these troubles:

1. You deleted the link and the damage is already done. Try to boot from
some old 1.2.13 boot disk + root disk (Try to find one or create one from
some old linux distribution. There is always a way and you can create these
disks from DOS.) Mount the root partition on your hard disk as /mnt and
create the link you want. Then reboot from your hard disk and everything
should work fine. Put the boot disk and the root disk in a safe and have
heavily armed guards protect them :-)

2. Next time make sure, that the dynamic linker always has enough symbols
to run ln, cp, .... This can be easily achieved by setting and exporting
the environment variable LD_PRELOAD to the old libc. In your case this
would have been:

export LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libc.so.5.0.9 if you're using bash,
setenv LD_PRELOAD /lib/libc.so.5.0.9 for tcsh

_Then_ you can safely remove the old link libc.so.5 and create the new
link to the new libc.
This procedure should prevent the problems you had.

Good luck

Rudi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.058 / U:0.032 seconds]