    SubjectRe: VFS: No free inodes - contact Linus
    > We started seeing this problem when we started running Netscape's FastTrack
    > server on It was configured to cache aggressively and soaked

    Isnt a Linux server. Can I take this as an unintentional
    revalation about upcoming software ? This is actually a far more interesting
    point than anything related to the bug 8)

    > 1) Why can't the kernel handle this condition more gracefully? Is it a "minor
    > matter of coding" or is there a fundamental reason the kernel must fail
    > so abruptly when out of inodes...

    The system is set up so that you run out of files before you can run out
    of inodes. It is a "cannot happen". Unless of course you up the max files
    on your box without upping the inodes.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.015 / U:82.192 seconds]