    SubjectRe: VFS: No free inodes - contact Linus
    Date
    "Jari Soderholm writes:"

    > I installed 256 MB RAM to our 2.0.29 PPro server, and what
    > happened was that:
    >
    > that was the last message what the machine said, before
    > it went stuck.
    >
    > VFS: No free inodes - contact Linus

    We started seeing this problem when we started running Netscape's FastTrack
    server on www.caldera.com. It was configured to cache aggressively and soaked
    up lotsa inodes apparently. We used the same work around that has already
    been mentioned (echo into /proc/sys/kernel/inode-max). But this leaves
    me with several questions:

    1) Why can't the kernel handle this condition more gracefully? Is it a "minor
    matter of coding" or is there a fundamental reason the kernel must fail
    so abruptly when out of inodes...

    2) What exactly does "contact Linus" mean? Should this never happen? It does.
    (And how does the kernel know that Linus has been hard to find lately?)

    3) Has anyone started work on documentation for system tuning and configuration
    via /proc/sys? I see references to some /proc entries under "Documentation"
    in the kernel source, but it's far from comprehensive. (Did I just volunteer
    myself to write a HOWTO?)

    Ron

    --
    Ron Holt <ron@caldera.com> Caldera, Inc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.163 / U:33.800 seconds]