    SubjectRe: Behavior under swap catastrophe?
    Dale R. Worley said:
    > In article <Mutt.19970212155407.jf@helix.caltech.edu>
    > jf@ugcs.caltech.edu (Joe Fouche) writes:
    > I've noticed lately that the behavior of the kernel when some
    > process goes berserk and fills up all the swap is a little
    > strange. It seems to start sending SEGV's to many processes as the
    > large one grows. This wouldn't be so bad, except that init is often
    > killed. Is a modification to protect the life of init in order? Or
    > should we just make sure this never happens?
    >
    > My suspicion is that it is not really the kernel sending SEGV's, but
    > rather that the programs are calling malloc, which discovers that it

    I don't know how to distinguish between those two. When this happened a
    few months ago, I assumed it was the kernel because I saw kernel messages
    which read "not enough memory for *" when each process died. But I
    suppose this could just be saying that the kernel couldn't satisfy malloc.
    In any case I can't find that printk in the source tree (though I just did
    grep */*/*, not all that thorough)

    > None of this explains why init dies. Perhaps init is not checking the
    > return value from malloc?

    Last time this happened it didn't die outright, but said something like
    "giving up". After that it was still nonfunctional, though :) I'll look
    through the source if I get a chance.
    --
    _ ____ Joe Fouche (jf@ugcs.caltech.edu)
    ___| |--- Deranged College Student

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:30.252 seconds]