SubjectRe: Ftape w/ new TR-3EX tapes
"Shane P. McCarron" <ahby@themacs.com> writes:

> At 12:39 AM 2/9/97 +0100, Claus-Justus Heine wrote:
> >Mike Wangsmo <wanger@mcn.net> writes:
> >
> >> Should I be using a newer ftape than that of the one included with the
> >> kernel? I just got the tape drive last week, so I am kind of unfamiliar
> >> with everything related to the tape stuff. I also see that using mt, I
> >> can't position a tape in the Colorado T3000 tape drives. ANys suggestions
> >> here?
> >
> >Yes, please try to use ftape-3.02 (see the http address contained in
> >the signature). Your tape drive still may not work, but I'm interested
> >in whether that `unknown tape format' error message vanishes with the
> >new version.
>
> Actually, the ftape driver 2.10 seems to work fine with TR-3EX tapes.
> However, 3.02 fails miserably because the capacity of the tape is greated
> tha 31 bits and the registers in the driver are ints. Claus, I think that
> you mentioned an update to this that you are wokrking on?

Yeah, it is almost ready for an alpha snapshot now. I have abandoned
the compression map -- it consumed quite a lot of vmalloc unswapable
kernel memory. ftape/zftape now allowes for tapes up to 2^10*2^31 =
2^41 capacity. This is 4GIG times 512 which should be plenty even when
using compression. There are also some minor bug fixes.

I hope to release an alpha snapshot soon, will announce it in this
mailing list.

Cheers

Claus

--