    SubjectRe: [masq] 1st virus in Linux :( (fwd)
    Neil Moore said:

    > > Doom is actually one of two programs: xdoom or sdoom. I think there is
    > > also a framebuffer version of xdoom. (That's the case in quake) sdoom
    > > uses svgalib and requires that suid root is set. xdoom works w/o suid.
    > > svgalib sucks anyway...
    > I meant, "Why not delete the executable you would be removing
    > suid from?" I meant sdoom here, as (hopefully) no one installs
    > xdoom suid root anyway.

    A small observation about this thread.

    As of 2.0.x linux removed the setuid bit when you modify a binary. So even if
    sdoom was installed setuid root. The moment the bliss adds its signature, or
    moves the binary to /tmp, the setuid bit will be removed.

    Also in linux/unix the virus will modify the inode change time, so detecting
    the virus is trivial...

    Jon. <,>

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:31.572 seconds]