    SubjectRe: [masq] 1st virus in Linux :( (fwd)
    Date
    Eric Hoeltzel  <eric@dogbert.sitewerks.com> wrote:
    > subs. Funny, in those days the ethical virus writers took an extremely
    > dim view of damaging code (replication itself was not defined as
    > damaging) and a slightly dimmer view of people like McAfee. They

    I don't want to start the old virus flame war again, but let me just
    point out that even just replication itself _is_ damage. In order to
    "work" as desired, a virus has to modify existing programs (for a
    broad range of the definition of "programs", e.g. including boot
    loaders etc). There are always programs where modification == damage.
    Imagine the (desirable) OS where every executable has a secure
    checksum stored somewhere else in a high-security area.
    Even just the additional resources taken by the replication constitute
    damage.

    Personally, I view people who call themselves "ethical virus writers"
    with suspicion.

    olaf
    --
    ___ Olaf.Titz@inka.de or @{stud,informatik}.uni-karlsruhe.de ____
    __ o <URL:http://www.inka.de/~bigred/> <IRC:praetorius>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.021 / U:0.756 seconds]