    SubjectRe: dcache questions
    On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Gordon Chaffee wrote:
    > Since d_ops->d_hash can be overridden, this is exactly what I am in
    > the process of doing for hashes. When a name gets hashed, a lookup is
    > done on the name if it is not found in the dcache. Short aliases will
    > always need to be looked up. While doing the lookup, I retrieve the
    > longname. I add the longname to the dcache, and I set the hash of the
    > string to be the hash of the longname.
    > This does mean that shortname lookups will be slow, but at least they
    > should always give the correct results. Lookups with longnames should
    > be quick.

    Hmmm, this makes sense but it isn't quite what I meant, let me adjust what
    I said a bit so it makes more sense. The d_hash element in the dentry
    structure is a linked list. I'd suggest adding in hashes for each actual
    path looked up, so they would all be hashed (and thus cached), even with
    their shortname components; but the all-longname path would be stored in
    the dentry's d_name and the parent directory info, etc. would be based on
    the "canonical" all-longname path. This means that the dentry would not be
    timed out until it stops being accessed by *any* of its paths, but since
    the vast majority of the structure is not replicated this should be OK; it
    just means you might have some rarely used hashes lingering longer than
    they deserve.

    This I see as being significantly different from your current method, any
    comments? Perhaps the d_hash list isn't intended to be used this way, but
    it looks promising. I'd also wonder how the VFAT/NTFS case compares to
    hard links, and even symbolic links, which also result in multiple paths
    for a given inode. In the case of hard links, there is no way to determine
    which one is canonical, so I'd expect they would be two separate dentries
    pointing to the same inode.

    David 703-810-5538 Reston, Virginia, USA
    "Down that path lies madness. On the other hand, the road to
    hell is paved with melting snowballs." -- Larry Wall, 1992

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.019 / U:10.436 seconds]