SubjectRe: Adding console escape codes (was Re: Default character set of the Linux console) (retry #2; using bcc, mail software bugs);
On Sat, 27 Dec 1997, Qrczak wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Tuomas Heino wrote:
>
> > Hmm... console.c has
> > case 'c':
> > reset_terminal(currcons,1);
> > continue;
> > Maybe we should have an escape to alter ^[c behaviour in this case?
>
> Maybe. It isn't as simple as changing the default to user defined map, but
> if you say it would be better... Yes, it's more compatible. So could we
> define such sequences NOW and implement them in the next kernel? It would
> be really great!
>
> I can see two ways:
>
> 1. An escape would define the charset set by ^[c (maybe one of the four,
> ISO-8859-1 / VT100 / null = CP-437 / user defined, or maybe only
> ISO-8859-1 / user defined would be enough).

We should prolly go for set_default_g0 and ..._g1 with the same letters
as the esc( / esc) stuff... (B0UK)

> 2. Escapes would tell if ^[c should set the G0 and G1 charsets at all.
>
> Which did you mean, what is better? Or maybe something else?

I meant the first one but maybe even both would be worth implementing...
maybe a fifth letter for the above for "no_change"? ;)

> Now we have to define these escapes. I don't know any rules what should
> they look like and which sequences are bad because of collisions with
> other standards. So you have to decide.
>
> Then should I try to implement this or somebody else would?

Let's see if any of the console driver authors bothers to answer ;)

[resending this one again due possible mail failure(s) - sorry if it's a dupe]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.049 / U:0.092 seconds]