SubjectRe: 3c9xx Support.

Bill Hawes said:
> For me 3Com is one my "never again" list, and I can only hope that
> enough people will likewise recommend against them that the company
> will either mend its ways or go out of business.

Agreed! It puzzles me why anyone would buy a proprietary card. I guess
much of it has to do with 3Com's mass marketing. If you buy a card based
on Digital, TI, or National chips, the data sheets are only a web browse
away. In some cases, you may need to call the local sales office to get
the errata, but that's generally not a problem. Volume pricing on the
10 Mb 24041 chip is well under $15. With pricing like that, who needs
other solutions.

This same situation exists with SCSI controllers. Endless threads about
2940 problems, but Symbios data sheets are available on the web. Or you
can use Buslogic, who supports driver development (thanks Leonard!).

galen

--
Galen Seitz
galens@northwest.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.025 / U:0.196 seconds]