    SubjectRe: 3c9xx Support.
    Philip Blundell wrote:
    > >The 3c905 cards have been a source of endless trouble and frustration,
    > >[...]
    > >I hope the cards were free, or else you overpaid ...
    > Do you think the cards are inherently broken, or is it just that the drivers
    > have been a bit flaky?

    I've only watched the 3c905 affair from a distance, but my impression is
    that 3Com has withheld vital information necessary to work around the
    card's quirks if not outright bugs. Donald Becker has a great deal of
    experience in writing drivers, and several of the people who have helped
    with the driver also have a good understanding of the problems. So I
    can't believe it would be so difficult to get the driver working given
    proper documentation.

    At one point I tried to get the technical specs for the card, thinking
    to help debug the driver. (I had foolishly purchased a pair based on
    3Com's reputation before looking into the driver situation.) After being
    promised a copy of the databook (and making several followup calls), I
    never received anything.

    For me 3Com is one my "never again" list, and I can only hope that
    enough people will likewise recommend against them that the company will
    either mend its ways or go out of business.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.018 / U:41.960 seconds]