    SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: binary modules, bad idea!
    Date
    >> If the kernel needs a special gcc for module versions,
    >> then that is simply what it needs. Standard gcc could
    >> still compile a kernel without modules.
    >
    > Anything I develop is going to use plain stock compilers,
    > linkers, and so on.

    What is a plain stock compiler anyway? Certainly not gcc.
    Linux already requires a specific version of a specific
    compiler with a specific object file format. You simply
    can't write kernel code with plain stock compilers.

    There are 3 gcc variants that can support the kernel now.
    If the FSF won't add some feature Linux needs, tough.
    They _will_ add it if Linux stops using their gcc, just like
    they made glibc work. They might not cooperate until they
    start to lose control a bit. Oh well. It is sick to let
    them hold Linux back.

    Anyway, this is only for versioned modules.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.021 / U:89.904 seconds]