SubjectRE: 2.0.33 SCSI arrrggghhh!

On 18-Dec-97 Michael J Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC wrote:
>All,
>
>Was using 2.0.32-pre-3 with Dave Ledford's updated SCSI which

That's Doug Ledford BTW :)

>appeared to fix all the looping/hanging/crashing problems on
>my dual P200-Pro Intel PR440FX system with onboard AIC7xxxx
>Ultra/Ultra-wide SCSI.
>
>Put up 2.0.33 today (from ftp.kernel.org) and one of the
>problems has returned, set max commands per LUN to 32, enabled
>SCB paging, fired it all up.

Actually, there's only about 20 or so lines of difference between what you
were using and 2.0.33.

>fsck works okay without banging out, but:
>
> mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1
>
>printed all the numbers, and hung on the next phase and eventually
>gets stuck in a causality loop:
>
> SCSI timeout - resetting bus 0 target 0
> SCSI timeout - resetting bus 0 target 0
> SCSI timeout - resetting bus 0 target 0
> ... ... ... ... ...
> SCSI timeout - resetting bus 0 target 0
>
>once like this you can't interrup the mkfs program (control-c)
>and can't login on the other virtual terminals.
>
>Only way out is the 2 finger salute... back to 2.0.33-pre3 :-(

Do me a favor (I don't have an SMP system so I can't test this out myself).
Try to duplicate your problem, but boot linux with aic7xxx=verbose:2
appended to your boot string (either with the append= directive in lilo or
by typing it in manually when the machine boots) and see if you can get me
some more information about the problem (remote syslog logging is your
friend in this case :)

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Date: 18-Dec-97
Time: 18:11:50

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.032 / U:1.260 seconds]